Summer, though awaited at the other ends of the world is absolutely dreaded here, in Delhi. With temperatures rising to a 47 degrees (c),the thought of getting out of the comfort of a cool room makes us sweat. There are however some things that in spite of the scotching heat, I’m loving this season. In fact, these are precisely the things that have kept me me going and I just cant do without in these hot months. So, without blabbing any further, here’s what I’m loving this summer.
1. Watermelon, Feta and Mint Salad
Come summer and watermelon forms a major part of my diet. Simply having it as a fruit can be boring, so this salad is perfect for a light yet filling summer lunch/dinner. What I love the most about this salad is how the saltiness of the cheese compliments perfectly with the sweetness of the watermelon.
Ingredients- (One Bowl)
- 1/4th of a medium Watermelon cut into cubes
- 1/14th cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Pepper to taste
Simply combine all the ingredients. If you want to cut the sweetness further, add a little bit of freshly ground red chilies.
2. Mango, Ginger & Honey Salad
Just like the watermelon salad, I try to make the best out of seasonal fruits and this salad is hands down my favorite! Though it’s extremely simple to make, the complexity of flavours just makes me want to devour it every single day.
- 1 mango cut in cubes
- 1 tablespoons ginger juice
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 table spoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 chopped green chily
- Salt to taste
Add the chilled mango cubes and chopped onions in a bowl. For the dressing, mix the ginger, lime juice, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper. Add it to the mangos and garnish with mint leaves.
It’s really important to keep hydrated during the summer and what could be better than drinking tons of fluid which are not packed with unnatural sugars and coloring. Other than drinking water, I love making this flavored water drink at home that ensures that I’ve completed the H2O quota of the day.
Chilled Flavored Water
- A big glass/jar/bottle of water
- 5/6 slices of cucumber
- A couple of mint leaves
- 2 table spoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey (If needed)
- Ice (If needed)
Take a chilled glass of water and mix all the ingredients. I love how simple this drink is and can be customized according to one’s preference. Since this version of drink is pretty much a lemonade, at most times, I simply take chilled water, add some mint and thin cucumber slices for a while. It’s just like drinking normal water but with a some freshness to it!
Summer fashion in Delhi can be pretty tricky since even though shorts and a short leaves tee may be ideal, most of us are rather careless when it comes to applying any sort of sunscreen protection product. For me, summer is all about light weight clothing which I can wear for hours comfortably and at the same time not come back home with a bad rash or sunburn.
1. Kimono tops are a staple clothing item for this season. They are extremely light weight, loose and comfortable, yet mostly 3/4 in sleeve length.Kimonos are available in tons of patterns, prints and colors which automatically adds vibrancy to any outfit without trying too hard. Forever 21 (outfits below) has tons of fun options available in stores which are definitely worth buying! I am currently obsessed with the maxi length maxi’s but a shorter one’s can look really cute too. I may do an outfit post styling a Kimono so do stay tuned for that!
2. Another clothing item that may or may not be ‘fashionable’ but are a staple for me are the Rebook Workout Pants (Skinny). These tights are too comfortable for me to able to put down in words. I must admit that even though I use them all year round, they work best in the summer since during the winter I try sticking to a heavier material which may keep me warmer. These tights contours to the body and it really does help to bring out my best performance while working out since they’re not at all flimsy. We often ignore out working out gear and hence investing in a couple of good quality clothing items that will last for a while is extremely important. I highly recommend checking out the Nike & Reebok stores since they have some great stuff in stock currently.
There’s just one word that sums up makeup for me during this summer and that’s Maybelline. I cannot even begin to describe how lovely the Maybelline products are. They are lightweight, gorgeous and yet do a really good job. Three of my favorites are-1. Blush Studio- Cheeky Glow (Peachy Sweetie) – Summer is all about keeping the makeup as minimal and non-cakey as possible. This is possible by using a cheek tint or a cream blush. Though Benefit’s Benetint is extremely loved by some, Maybelline’s Cheeky Glow collection is a forerunner as well! I am loving the shade Peachy Sweetie that’s perfect for my skin tone. The blush has a cream consistency and is easy to apply with a brush or simply using a clean ringer finger. Once applied it’s extremely lightweight and I absolutely love the natural glow.. A plus point is that it’s only Rs.250 versus Benefit’s Benetint which is Rs.2000.
2. Lip Polish by COLORsensationational (Glam 9) – Gone are the days where it was all about Matt Lipsticks. Though using a gloss is something that I was a little vary of before since it reminded me of my teenage years but nonetheless, I gave Lip Polish collection a shot & boy am I glad! The lip gloss is absolutely gorgeous and the shade I have is a light pink colour which works well for a no-makeup makeup look. I try my best to not go towards a darker lip shade over the summer, and hence the shade Glam 9 is perfect for me. The lipgloss is extremely moisturizing but luckily, not at all sticky (So goodbye to hair sticking to the lips).
I have swatched the Blush and Lip Gloss in the image below. Top – Lip Gloss , Bottom – Blush
3. Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealor- I guess my efforts to go in for a natural look over the summer is pretty evident by now and hence using a full coverage foundation is out of question. Though, I love using BB/CC creams, sometimes I can find that a bit too much to handle in the heat as well. So, the perfect solution is using a highlighting concealor and then covering up with a loose mattifying powder (if needed). I highly recommend the Maybelline Dream —–The dream lumi concealor does wonders to conceal and highlight while being so easy to apply. It definitely surpassed my expectations.
4. Lakme 9 to 5 nailpaint in Peach Promotion- Though this is not a Maybelline product, I am in love with the 9 to 5 range by Lakme. Their lipsticks genuinely do what they claim and I have been a fan for a while. I decided to try out the 9 to 5 nailpaint collection and came across this peachy pink colour which I fell in love with at first sight. I was surprised at my self since I do think that darker colours suit my skin tone better but I just couldn’t say no to this one. The nailpaint works really well with 2 coats applied ( along with an additional top coat). I can see this one being a summer staple now!
5. Another Product that has been doing wonders for me os the Pantene Pro V Blowout Extend Dry Shampoo. Come summer and taking multiple showers in a day almost becomes a ritual but washing hair daily can be hugely problematic. This is where my holy grail, the dry shampoo comes into play. This dry shampoo is handsdown the best I have ever used. Unlike most others, it does not leave a white powdery residue and is infact transparent (almost like a deodrant for the hair). It smells just fine but works extremely well! Not only does it keep my hair clean for an extra day but also works like a texturing hair spray to add volume (especially while tying a side braid or making a pony tail.)
I hope you enjoyed going through some of my summer favorites. All the products and recipes listed are tried out by me personally and I swear by them! If you end up using any of the products or try out the salads/drinks, please do upload a picture with the hashtag #melangeofmusings