Hey guys! Canola India contacted me recently regarding trying out Canola oil! Though I was aware of the health benefits of Canola oil, I thought it would be fun to post a recipe using the same and introducing the product to you all! Canola oil is definitely one the best oils to cook with as it contains very high levels of heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, which lower bad cholesterol (LDL) and help control blood glucose. It’s lowest in bad saturated fats as compared to other vegetable cooking oils and is packed with vitamin e and omega 3! I really suggest making a little shift and trying out this oil if you are considering a healthy lifestyle.
Canola oil has partnered with cookfresh.in which is basically a service that sends you a complete box of ingredients for a dish + an easy to follow recipe! I have already done a post on Cookfresh before so you can check it out here! I created two batches of this cake – one using the Cookfresh box and their ingredients which they sent across and the second one using the ingredients at home. Best part? Its eggless and butter-less yet its super moist and gooey! There’s also a Nutella surprise which adds that hazelnut flavor that is to die for!
Batch One: From the cookfresh box. I must say this was really easy it gets. I had all the ingredients packed neatly for me and all I had to do was mix them and microwave them in a cup! Yes, that’s all. The cake was ready within a total of 3 minutes and it tasted absolutely fabulous!
Batch Two: After creating one batch from the Cookfresh box, I re-created it following the same ingredient list – eye balling the quantities and OH MY GOD! It turned out exactly the same.
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1.5 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of Canola Oil (You can use olive oil or any other vegetable oil too if you want!)
- 4 tablespoons of milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of nutella
- A mug
- A microwave
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all the try ingridients
- Whisk in the milk and oil until all ingridients are combined and the batter has no lumps
- Pour the batter into a microwave safe mug with a wide mouth. If you take a mug (like the moustache one) the batter would reach approximately 2/3rds of the cup but If you take a bigger cup, the batter would reach only half way. So the cake that rises may not look that pretty! The cake definitely looks cuter in smaller mugs with wider mouths.
- Add the Nutella in the middle of the batter. Just drop it in the middle- no need to push it down and sink it in the batter.
- You can place a paper towel in the microwave and set the mug on top of it if you like. This is will catch any batter if your mug overflows- especially if youre using small mugs
- Microwave the mug for 90 seconds. The cake should have risen. You can put a toothpick in it and if it comes out clean, you know it’s done! If the toothpick sinks in with batter all around it, just give the cake 20 seconds more in the microwave.
- Once done, remove the mug from the microwave and it’s ready to eat! To be more indulgent, you can drop another spoon of Nutella on the top to create a Nutella ganache! Or, enjoy with vanilla ice cream. The cake tastes the best hot. If you don’t eat it immediately which you should ideally, you can put it in the oven for 20-30 seconds to warm it up a bit before eating it!