Recently, I had posted a short review about Cookfresh on my Facebook page when I ordered from them for the first time. I have been cooking quite a bit lately and hence I decided to call them again for another meal! (I just couldn’t resist). I was extremely content about my experience this time as well and decided to blog it
Before I move onto my experience, this is how it works – Go on to the Cookfresh Website and choose a recipe you’d like to get delivered to your doorstep! While choosing the recipe, you do get to see the Calorie count for the meal along with seeing how many people it will serve. Once you place your order you can pay using Cash on delivery or use their payment gateway. When I placed my order, I also received a phone call asking me for a confirmation of time of delivery making it really easy for all you working folks.
This time I ordered the Penang Fish Curry as opposed to the last time’s Pasta! Panang curry takes it name from the city island off the West coast of peninsular Malaysia, Penang, or Pulau Pinang in Malay. This type of curry is richer, and creamer than than a Thai Red Curry.
When I received my Cookfresh box, along with a really pretty recipe card I received box all ingredients measured, chopped, sliced or simply prepped up for me. The recipe was to the point and really easy to follow. Having tried the Penang Curry before, I did come to the conclusion that the recipe was upto the mark and pretty authentic! Though this this recipe didn’t have Peanuts which is usually a crucial element of the Penang Curry, I really didn’t miss them much. I was happy with the fact that along with the ingredients for the fish curry they also sent one cup of uncooked white rice as an accompaniment. The fish was really fresh and neatly packed in a clean box. The smallest of smallest ingredients were also put in little zip lock pouches and labelled well. Since, all I had to do was follow to the recipe to the T, I didn’t have to break my head over constantly ensuring the balance of flavors for the Penang curry paste and the brown sugar were already measured out to reach a desired optimum.
Here’s the recipe that’s available on the Cookfresh Website as well!
- Place a large non-stick wok or wide frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the oil and stir-fry the sliced onions for a few minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Return the pan to a low heat, add the coconut cream and the curry paste and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Pour over the coconut milk and stir in 50 ml water. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Put the lemongrass on a board and cut in half. Bash with a rolling pin to bruise and flatten the stalks – this will allow their flavour to escape more easily into your curry. Add the lemongrass, lime leaves, and sugar to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes more, or until the sugar dissolves, stirring.
- Add the green beans and simmer gently for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until almost tender. Stir in the peppers and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring regularly. The coconut curry sauce needs to be bubbling gently but constantly to cook the vegetables.
- When the green beans are tender, taste the curry sauce and add more fish sauce if necessary. At this point you may turn the heat off and let the curry sauce stand until the fish is ready to be cooked.
- Season the fish with ground black pepper. Stir the fish into the curry and cook for a further 5 minutes. Turn the fish in the sauce every now and then, but stop as soon as you see it beginning to flake.
- Scatter the crisp onions, coriander leaves and roughly torn basil on the curry and serve.
This is the box that I ordered last time – Penne Alla Vodka! I have written about this particular box here. I HIGHLY recommend this pasta.
As I mentioned in my previous review, there are a couple things I would want to point out. Firstly, even though the website gives you a calorie count of the meal, I would love to see many more healthier quick meal options. Secondly, I did feel that it is a tad bit expensive for the simple reason that in the end of the day a person as to cook the meal on their own. The good part is rather than serving a single person, the the meal is good enough to serve 2-3 people depending on how hungry they are! It also saves you the troubles of going to the grocery store and buying full packets of ingredients you may not ever use again.
If you live in Delhi or Gurgaon and want to try it out, here’s an 20% discount on Cookfresh, here’s a coupon code that you can use from my side – MMHEALTHY
Ill see you soon! Another post this week itself