I have been on bed rest for a while as I injured my tail bone! I’m obviously not allowed to work out for a few weeks so eating healthy is the only thing that is keeping me motivated on my fitness journey. I absolutely love drinking smoothies whether its as a breakfast meal or post working out. The good part is that they’re SO healthy and nutritious along with being yummy! One of my favorite smoothies is the Blueberry and Bananas Power Smoothie.
Whats important to note here is that while re-creating this recipe of mine, you can totally add/subtract whatever you like! That’s what makes smoothie so much fun to make. It’s all about experimentation. This smoothie is extremely healthy and the idea is to basically give you an immunity boost + kickstart your day! It’s very filling and makes for a meal in itself.
Serves: 500 ml
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 cup raw oats (steel cut or rolled, whatever you prefer)
- ½ cup Water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (I used an organic coldpress coconut oil)
- 1 ripe banana ( Make sure the Banana is ripe/over ripe. If you have the time, cut the banana into pieces and freeze it over night! Frozen bananas give a wonderful texture to the smoothie and work as an amazing replaced for ice)
- ½ cup blueberries (I couldn’t get my hands on fresh blueberries so I used dried blueberries that I had in my pantry. Ofcourse, fresh blueberries are way better and more nutritious)
- ½ a tablespoon Honey (This is what I used as an additional sweeter. Half a spoon was more than enough for me but you can use as much as you like)
- 1 tablespoon ‘Seeds-o-life’. (This is a blend of flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, seaseme seeds. It’s available here on healthkart.com). If you don’t want to add this particular blend to your smoothie, you can simply add a spoon of flax seeds or Chia Seeds or any other seeds you have at home. If you don’t have any, you can avoid this step all together
- Ice (about ¼ cup). If you’re using frozen bananas and chilled water you can avoid the ice. I didn’t use frozen bananas so instead made use of about ¼- ½ cup crushed ice.
To make this Smoothie:
In a blender, mix in all your ingrdients for 2-3 minutes. I like my smoothie to be on the relatively thicker and creamier side so I don’t blend more than that 3 minutes. However, if you like, you can blend it for longer depending your preference.
Tip: Try having this smoothie as soon as possible only cause it has oats which over time binds together. If you leave this in the fridge for a while, the smoothie will turn into a more sold-ish consistency cause of the oats. If that happens, don’t fret and just add a little bit of milk and put that into a blender for a 1 minute and it will be back to normal 🙂